- Police have slammed a Facebook page that is tipping off drivers about the location of traffic police, saying it is putting lives at risk.
- The page is littered with posts and photos outlining where police are targeting drink driving and speeding in Townsville.
- The page has about 8000 members and has dozens of comments condemning speed cameras as “revenue raisers” and calling police “pigs”, The Townsville Bulletin reports.
- Regional and Country Queensland Road Policing Command Inspector Ray Rohweder said the page was endangering motorists.
- “They need to think further than just a few seconds of social media fame,” he said.
- “By helping a drink driver avoid detection, they could be possibly causing the death of someone they know.
- “People that engage in that sort of behaviour on social media need to realise it could be them or a relative or a friend of theirs that becomes the victim of a speeding driver or a drink driver.”
- Members are encouraged to post photos of speed cameras and RBT sites as well as details of any traffic crashes in Townsville